What I didn't know about the Supreme Court

 


I consider myself a fairly educated person. After all, I am a senior in college, a place many people in the world do not get to. Though the supreme court has always confused me on what its purpose ultimately was. It was not until recently I decided to look at what they do. This was because of the leaked draft of Justice Alito's abortion opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade. When I heard that this was possible I became utterly disgusted with our political leaders. How could something like this happen? So as a responsible citizen I decided to conduct my own research.
   
 I quickly learned what the supreme court actually does, which was all new information for me. They are the ultimate decision on whether something is constitutional or not, they decide whether a law can pass, as well as make sure the other branches of government stay within their power. Our founding fathers took steps to try and prevent tyranny, they wanted to make sure that what they fought a war for, would never come to our country.

I feel as though the supreme court has changed from its original purpose of protecting the rights of the people to helping a political party. If the supreme court cared about the rights of the people they would not overturn something that protects such an important right. I am fearful of what our country may turn into if this ruling happens. It scares me that whatever the Supreme Court says is the law. Though the supreme court makes sure the other branches stay within their power, who is there to make sure the supreme court stays within theirs?

Comments

Popular Posts